Sunday, July 27, 2008

Black women and Marriage

The CNN Black in America segment about black women and marriage was disparaging. "Forty-five percent of black women in America have never been married, compared with 23 percent of white women," according to the U.S. Census Bureau's American Community Survey in 2006. Among my circle of friends about 2 aren't married.It does make me wonder when I'm out in public. I was in a store and I noticed out of 4 White women three were wearing rings. However, when I saw a group of Black women only 2 were married. I believe one of the contributing factors is that black men don't value family and commitment. There is some inward fear of being attached and some suggest it started back in slavery. Whatever the reason, it doesn't offer hope to the millions of single black women waiting to meet Mr. Right.

No comments: